Physical Education (PE) is the subject area concerned with the development of knowledge, attitudes and skills related to personal, social, emotional and physical well-being in order to make healthy lifestyle choices. PE develops these aspects by providing students with the opportunity to learn about movement and through movement.
At PAS we aim to develop responsible and knowledgeable citizens of the world who pursue a healthy and active lifestyle. Students experience a wide variety of physical activities that also help build confidence and cooperative skills. PE also helps to build links with families, the local community and beyond.
- Students are expected to participate in all PE classes and put forth their best effort.
- Students are exposed to a wide variety of physical and health-related activities and experiences so that they can make educated choices throughout their lives.
- Students are always challenged to improve their skills and knowledge.
- Students with different skill levels are always encouraged to participate and enjoy physical activities and see them as part of an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Teachers must consider students’ previous experience, different interests and abilities, as well as respect their limits.
- PE knowledge and skills are connected to other areas of the curriculum and community.
- Links should be established whenever possible between school and leisure time regarding health and body functioning.
- PE should not be only considered synonymous with sport, but it should also include body control and spatial awareness, health-related activities, athletic activities, games, movement to music and adventure challenge.
- PE classes provide a special environment for the students to develop the attributes of the IB learner profile in situations that vary from those in the classroom.
- PE classes will provide students with the opportunities to understand and demonstrate respect, cooperation, tolerance, teamwork, sportsmanship, care and risk-taking through both competitive and cooperative activities.