The international school of Porto Alegre
For over 50 years, we have been the place in Porto Alegre that prepares students for the world.
We are Pan American, an international, not for profit K-12 private school with just over 400 students. Since 1966, with the help of a dedicated team, a strong international network and a committed parent community we seek to provoke creativity, teach equality, model ways to challenge assumptions and teach students to take risks and find alternatives.
We inspire life-long learners to build their future.
To be an international learning community, nurturing confidence to embrace change.
We are fully accredited by AdvancED in the United States, authorized as an IB world school with both the PYP and MYP programs and offer the Advanced Placement Capstone diploma. We are members of the Council of International Schools (CIS), the Association of American Schools in South America (AASSA) and the Association of American Schools in Brazil (AASB). These groups provide our school with a like-minded network of international schools aiming to provide students with a unique and meaningful educational experience.
Pan American Through Time
Start of school activities at UFRGS. First class formed by 14 American families.
In 1967 the school was officially registered, nearly one year after classes had begun.
The school acquired its first property. Here we see the school on moving day!
A group of Pan American students at the Paetzel property, which has now become the preschool campus!
An elementary group of students.
In 1985 Pan American welcomed the first group of Brazilian students!
Pan American joined the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
In 2000, Pan American had its first group of high school students.
A new school campus for a growing school community!
Officially PYP authorized
Successfully acquired full AdvancEd accreditation.
Our preschool campus was opened at Paetzel, especially renovated for our youngest students!
2016 was a busy year! Pan American completed 50 years,
received full MYP authorization,
graduated its first group of AP Capstone Diploma recipients,
and inaugurated the new collaborative labs at main campus!
The growth that we have experienced in the last decade represents our greatest opportunity. Our number of students has doubled from 200 in 2004 to just over 400 to date. Approximately 80% of our student population is Brazilian, with the remaining 20% hailing from more than 15 different countries. Our staff and faculty come from three continents and 7 countries. As a result our community has become a truly a multicultural center in Porto Alegre
Os desafios e as oportunidades associados a este crescimento são bem-vindos na Pan American. Continuaremos trabalhando para ser uma comunidade de aprendizagem internacional exemplar, que gera confiança para enfrentarmos as mudanças!
Our school is led by both local and international members of our community, working together to achieve pedagogical excellence.
Director of Brazilian Studies
Assistant Secondary Principal
Assistant Primary Principal
Board Vice President
Invited Board Member
Invited Board Member
Invited Board Member
The main campus of our school occupies a constructed area of 6 thousand m², with 24 classrooms and three student support rooms. Additionally, we offer music and theater studios, science labs, library and learning external areas. At the Preschool campus, there are six classrooms, with sports court and cafeteria.
Av João Obino, 110 – Petrópolis
Porto Alegre/RS – Brasil [90470-150]
Av. João Paetzel, 440 – Chácara das Pedras
Porto Alegre/RS [91330-280]
Looking to the future
Our school has experienced steady growth over the years, and our hope is to be able to hold a student population of 600. In order to do this, we have begun working with top local engineers to best maximize the use of our school environment. Stay tuned as we continue to build our future!
Here you will find links to useful school communication platforms. Communication is an important part of a successful Pan American experience!
General announcements from the school and by year/grade and calendars.
Attendance, grades, and reports.
School/Academic research, upcoming events and teacher and student highlights.